Thursday, April 1, 2021

Cold Pursuit (2019) * * *

 


Directed by: Hans Petter Moland

Starring:  Liam Neeson, Emmy Rossum, William Forsythe, Micheal Richardson, Laura Dern, Tom Bateman

I previously posted a review of Cold Pursuit in 2019.   I liked the movie and a comment was posted which was a link to a movie streaming service or some other type of spam.  I removed the comment, but I was still issued a warning by Blogger for trademark infringement or something to that effect.   I removed the post and now I'm reissuing another review.    I give it three stars just like I did two years ago.  

This was one of the better Liam Neeson movies where he kicks ass and takes names after someone wrongs him.   In Cold Pursuit, Neeson is Nels Coxman, a Colorado plow driver whose son is murdered by drug dealers.   Coxman vengefully pursues the dealers and then their boss, a dangerous psycho nicknamed The Viking (Bateman).   The Viking could easily have adorned the cover of GQ magazine many moons ago.  Nels was never a killer or even a violent man, but as the bodies pile up, he develops a thirst for it.  

There are further subplots involving The Viking crossing paths with the local Native American crime lord, someone whom Nels has no beef with.   They find they have more in common than they imagined.  Because Cold Pursuit doesn't simply focus on Neeson, but spreads the wealth around, it is more engaging than standard action fare.    Cold Pursuit also is told with dark humor which takes what would appear to be a standard Liam Neesons action vehicle and turns it into something better.   Now I hope no one sends me any more spam comments. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment