Friday, June 10, 2022

The Bob's Burgers Movie (2022) * *

 


Directed by:  Loren Bouchard and Bernard Derriman

Voices of:  H. Jon Benjamin, Dan Mintz, John Roberts, Kevin Kline, Zach Galifianakis, David Wain, Kristen Schaal, Eugene Mirman

The Bob's Burgers Movie, based on the popular Fox series, wasn't made for neophytes like me.   I may have seen one episode many years ago, but that's it.   Nothing about the movie makes me want to start binging the show's previous episodes.   The Belchers, who run a small burger joint, are nice enough people, but not compelling.   I approached the movie with eyes wide open, but it's meh.

The Belchers run their burger establishment every day until a sinkhole opens up in front of their store causing the entrance to be blocked.   It doesn't help the Belchers were turned down for an extension on their loan payment and must fork over the entire balance in ten days or the bank will foreclose.   They may be able to swing this if their crusty landlord would extend his rent deadline, but soon the landlord is charged with the murder of a man whose body was discovered in the sinkhole.   The Belchers must help prove their landlord's innocence, otherwise the rent will come due and the Belchers are up the creek.

From what I was able to surmise, Bob's Burgers teeters on the edge of the bawdy humor made famous by Family Guy and The Simpsons, two other animated shows which are well past their sell-by dates.   There are musical numbers which are as forgettable as the movie itself.   I didn't find myself much engaged in the proceedings and I'll leave the Bob's Burgers world to those who may appreciate it more than I.  

No comments:

Post a Comment